Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

So, last year on my birthday, I reviewed Holly Schindler's Playing Hurt, which was one of my favorite books of last year, and this year, I am reviewing Grave Mercy. I think this bodes well for my birthdays. :) 
Prepare for lots of gushing, guys. <3

Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

First, I want to say that this is BY FAR, the best book I have read all year.  Maybe even longer than that. I don't remember the last time a book has grasped onto me the way this one did. It consumed me for days! It's ALL I talked about on twitter while reading it, and even for awhile afterwards. In some ways, it has even redefined my view of 5 star books. I've given a lot of books five stars, and they did not touch the epic-ness of this book. (Yes, ratings are subjective, and that doesn't mean I love the other books any less- but this one just kind of catapulted to the top. The very top.)
I don't usually read historical romances. I have a hard time getting into them, but this one- I was hooked from the first sentence, and it only got better from there! Ismae is such a strong character, I instantly loved her SO much!
You've probably heard about this book before- how she's a nun assassin. Those two words seem to contradict each other, and yet they really do not. The nuns serve their God, Mortain- Saint of Death, and serve as his hand. Ismae's life before the convent is pretty horrible. She's saved on her wedding night, and soon she finds safety in the covenant, but what happens when all  the things she has always believed to be true and just- suddenly do not seem to be so?
I loved that she was smart enough to question.
That she was cynical- and yet still used her heart.
And Duval. OMG- how I loved Duval. He was pretty fantastic. They had so much tension- it was practically crackling in the air. He's strong, and he's stubborn, and he's loyal- and he's everything Ismae needed that she never knew she even wanted. Love had never been on her radar with the convent. She hadn't thought it was possible. She hated men- she hated what they had done to her- and to girls like her.
But she couldn't hate Duval.
This book has everything you could ever need in a book.
Romance, Action, Suspense, betrayal (lots of that!), secrets, revenge, justice, and perhaps more than anything- repentance.
I loved so many characters in this book. I loved Ismae and Duval, and I loved the Duchess and Beast. I even loved Ismae's convent sisters Sybella and Anneth.
I can't wait to read more about them in the following novels.
There were so many times in this novel that I was certain that everything was going to completely fall apart and break my heart, but Robin never once let me down.
I'm hesitant to say any book is completely flawless, but this one, in my opinion, is pretty freaking perfect. <3
The characters, the pacing, the heart, the romance, the suspense. All of it. All of it is on-spot with this book. <3
Guys, if you take a chance on just one book this year, READ THIS ONE. <3 <3

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book. I'm so glad you did too. This is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review... i loved this book!!! New follower, btw :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! :) welcome to the blog! :)

      Delete
  3. This is by far the best one I've read this year too. It was a new concept, refreshing, bittersweet, and great characters! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess!! So glad you loved it too!

      Delete
  4. This book was quite good I am not going to lie :D Happy birthday! My favorite ones till now this year are The Immortal Rules and Sweet Evil, both were sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard nothing but good things about this book! I almost picked it up instead of the one I'm reading now, but I wanted something on the shorter side. :) I'm definitely going to read it in the next few weeks though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...Most epic review ever. Okay, okay. Going back to sleep in a few minutes, boyfriend woke me up WAY too early, but the second I wake up I'll start reading. Its sitting on my nightstand now with a bookmark and everything. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Upon finishing this book, the critical reviewer in me had a bad moment. It raised its hackles and started stalking back through the book for something to comment on, something that annoyed me, something that stuck out. It took me a really long moment to realize that I had just simply enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I appreciate any and all comments! They mean the WORLD to me! Please let me know what you think!
XO, Al @ Magnet4Books <3

FTC GUIDELINES

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, I'd like everyone to know that the books featured / discussed on my blog were either provided by the publisher/ author for free OR were purchased by me. The book's price DOES NOT influence my opinion of the book/author. Thank you!

AWARD! :)