Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Interview with Victoria Schwab

Hey darlings! So, yesterday I reviewed THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab, and absolutely loved it! So I wanted to do an interview with the lovely author that I now love so much! :) 
-_-_-_-

ME: Hi Victoria! Thanks so much for doing this interview!

VS: Hi Allison!! 

ME:  As you know, I loved this story SO much! I loved the idea of the  small village where everyone knew everyone, and it was almost like a  knitted family.I grew up in a small town, and I always loved that  feeling of knowing that there was that kind of support.  Did you grow  up in a small town, too?

VS: I actually grew up in both San Jose, CA, and Nashville, TN, two very different places, but neither one terribly small-town-ish. But I've always been fascinated by the dynamics of small town, that familiar feel as well as the way word travels, and it seemed only fitting for a fairytale, especially this one to be set in such a contained environment. 

ME: Were you afraid of witches when you were little? Did your town have  a witches tale that inspired that fear?

VS: No! In fact, witches are probably my favorite supernatural sect, in part because they handle magic, and in part because they are such a versatile group. Witches can be elemental, as the ones in NW, or coven-based, dark or light, etc. Just look at pop culture, and the spectrum of witches, the very notion of what constitutes a witch, is vast. I love that. I wish I could have grown up with the kind of witchlore Lexi and Wren did. 

ME:  Have you always wanted to be a writer or was it something that kind  of came up later?

VS: I always wanted to write, but it took me a long time to figure out the form it would take. I started out writing poetry, and then in college I dabbled in screenplays and short fiction, before finally trying my hand at full-length. But none of my family were surprised I ended up as a novelist!
ME: If you could tell your 16 year old self something now, what would it be?

VS: Bad writing is still writing and eventually it will lead to better writing. Also, be patient. Seriously. You don't have to do everything by the time you turn 18. The world won't be less impressed if it takes you a little longer. 

 ME: Any advice for aspiring authors?

VS: Be brave. So many aspiring authors get in their own way because they're afraid. Afraid of being judged, mostly. I just did a post on this, but you have to get to the point where your WANT outweighs your FEAR. Fear gets you nowhere. 

ME: If you could have one magical power, what would it be?

VS: The ability to manipulate time, to speed it up, to slow it down, to pause it. Heck, maybe even to use it in a non-linear way.

ME: And last but not least, If you could meet one fictional (YA) character, who would it be and why?

VS: I want to meet Akiva from Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Laini Taylor) only because he sounds soooooo pretty. I want to see him myself. 

THANKS AGAIN! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

VS: My pleasure!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bad writing is still writing...that's good advice. And I would tell myself now (at 29) that you don't have to do everything by the time you're 30. But I keep forgetting that and feel like I haven't accomplished anything.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I appreciate any and all comments! They mean the WORLD to me! Please let me know what you think!
XO, Al @ Magnet4Books <3

FTC GUIDELINES

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, I'd like everyone to know that the books featured / discussed on my blog were either provided by the publisher/ author for free OR were purchased by me. The book's price DOES NOT influence my opinion of the book/author. Thank you!

AWARD! :)